Tuesday 10 January 2012

Shino, Tokyo



In Tokyo it's impossible to miss the way people seem so comfortable doing quirky little things with their style - I don't think that's much of a revelation for anybody, it is Tokyo after all. And even when I'm there, I feel like I could do quirky little things because everyone's doing it and people accept that. It's like it's embedded in the culture, almost like you need to do it because if you're on the street dressed like a total plain Jane then you're the one who will stand out. 

I love the one-dangle-earring accessory that I saw a lot of girls wearing in Tokyo. It's cute - it's kawaii - and it's fun! I don't care if it's a little dinosaur (like the one Shino is wearing) or something else, it work's because they make it work and they carry it off without looking like a little kid. And this seems to be exactly what the Japanese street style culture is built upon - it's fun, it's doing style however you want to, and having other people accept you on that level. And you don't even have to be a wacky person to do it. If you just want to have a bit of fun, anyone can do it!